Saturday, February 27, 2010

Things In Europe That I Love

As many others, I see Islam in Europe.
I love it when I see old couples holding hands and they look like they are still in love.
One day, there was a couple, both walks ever so slow, the man holding a walking stick and his other half put her hand inside the pocket behind his pant.
I love the idea how they both support each other

The above average medical care has somehow increase life expectancy, so you will see many old peoples around.
Of course this is quite a sad phenomenon, because one lecturer said it's a problem because they need to take care of the olds
Imagine living, but not wanted
But I dare not say my lecturer is wrong
because I have never feel how it is to be taking care of old people
But then, I've twice experienced seeing old ladies fall.
One on her back, the other on her front
What I'm trying to say here is how the person who help both ladies back on their feet doesn't talk rubbish after that.
You see, I'm a regular public transportation user (btw, both incidents have something to do with this)
I saw how people were treated
Once, the bus moved when an old lady hadn't even fully disembarked
I was so sorry for her
They just say sorry and moved
Then there were some tourists who were going to Teluk Bahang, and pronounced the name quite funnily
They were being made fun of by the conductor
I am a foreigner myself and I know how much does it take for me to pronounce something in an alien language
And luckily, nobody make fun of my mispronounciation
I even get 'hezky, hezky' (good, good) for my poor Czech command
To these Czechs, the pronounciation is the other thing, what matter is you try
Talk about being supportive

And then it comes to the toilet
Most my Malaysian friends are disgusted of European toilets.
I must say, it's the opposite for me.
I love European toilets as much as I hate Malaysian toilets.
The reason for the detest of European toilets mostly being the usage of paper instead of water.
But I see no disgust in this.
Admittedly, at first, it was hard for me and I'm still using water
But somehow, I don't like the remarks "eee, dah la kencing berak tak basuh"
It sounds self centered, pardon me
Imagine people making a shit out of your nature of eating with your hand
Plus, I remember in Islam, even stones can be used for istinjak
So, we don't really have right to condemn these people for not using water
Are we suggesting that stones are disgusting too (even tho it does sound like it =p)
I wonder if we really know what respect means (that was applied to me too, what a brat I was)

Back to the topic, European toilets, most of them are really clean.
I heart the dry floor
So people, after U are done wudhuk, please, please wipe up the floor and sinks ok
Because I don't really like water drippings on the floor and sinks
If I don't like it, then the more do the locals
Another plus to European toilet is that most of them have nice handsoap and what's more, here we have green disposable towels to pat dry our hand
Now, talk about hygiene!

If there's one thing that I want to suggest to our government is that I want them to learn from most European countries how to provide our people with excellent public transportation
Should every YB and minister take the public transportation for a month or two back home
and then come here and take the public transportation for 3 days
I like how beneficial is the transport system to the people over here
And not mentioning, how punctual they are
Quoting a friend " Back home, the bus comes at whatever time they want to come and I also become tension"
That is a really hilarious sentence but it holds pure truth of what me mom have to endure everyday

I rarely get thank you from Asians, even though I've saved their bum from some tiring things
But for a slightest deed, I get thank you over here
I remember in a National day parade,I haerd the pak cik pembuat and pemberi Milo free during the national day parade said,
"this is the only one who say thank you" to the girl who just got her cup and there were about 2 dozens before her, who clearly took the cup and say nothing
Bad, bad, bad
What is it with Asians so hard to show their gratification
I know we tend to hide our emotion but would a thank you hurt our pride?

I've been hearing about Caucasians these and that
Bad things
I see those and I acknowledge
But if we give space to look at the positive side rather than saying bad things about other
It would benefit us more
Look, I'm loving their toilet right now and you, if u realise it or not, u r also acknowledging their punctuality don't you?

I hope we (anybody who feel he/she needs learning) can learn to respect other culture
Even tho we eat different things, talk different language,
we're still breathing the same air, look at the same moon and as a matter of time, be on a same ground on the judgement day
We never know what deed has any of us done when we only see his/her shortcomings
Give space to appreciate other and if needed, change them appropriately
; p




3 comments:

  1. nak suruh YB-YB naik public transportation? cukup susah nak jumpa. once in a lifetime kot.

    alasan mereka. faktor keselamatan.

    kalau ada yang naik pun. mungkin cuma buat syarat saja kot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hej! lynawan...well, malaysians do not need to look far as for the transportation efficiency and toilet cleanliness, just across the Tebrau Straits and beyond the Sungai Kolok (GOLOK) or Bukit Kayu Hitam border...i went to Thailand a few years back and my habit is to check out the toilet...yes, the toilet in the shopping complexes were excellent but even in the rural areas, i stopped by at the petrol station, the toilet looked old but in clean condition, even i went to one Muslim village somewhere along the way to Pattaya, and i stopped at their mosque, if you look at the mosque building was in sad uncompleted structure, without electricity and water, but the toilet was really clean! for the transportation, singapore has a great system that we can learn but we never want to look at our close neighbours but always the government agencies & those pliticians and leaders like to do study visit in europe or us, and normally most of the time just makan angin...for our parts, what we can do is, we observe and emulate the good practices of the europeans when we once settle back in malaysia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Azwan : hahaha, tu la.nak pi bejalan mkn angin x pulak pikir faktor keselamatan kan. sedih la, aku rs byk ahli politik skrg ni dh lupa main role depa.It seems like being a politician bukan untuk menjaga kepentingan rakyat lg dh but rather utk jg kepentingan sendiri and parti.

    En. Danial : Hahaha, so I kena ke Thai and S'pore. Haven't been there yet. Toilet kt Msia yg I suka pun just PLUS pny toilet. Even Penang GH pny toilet pun sgt xmelambangkn status sebuah hospital.
    About study visit tu sgt xdinafikan. As if we haven't had enough with tests lying aroung every nooks, kena pulak make time for lunch arrangement with these people. When I look at their itinerary, lg byk leisure dr work. Yeah, we have good values but sygnya skrg ni lg byk poor values in our people. balik nak kena ubah ni.

    ReplyDelete