Monday, September 27, 2010

Jintan Manis, Jintan Masam, Jintan Masin

I'm or I was always a failure in the kitchen.
Since my help in Penang is limited to cutting onions and the likes, my knowledge doesn't go that far.
I don't really know which stuff goes first, and what's this seed is called.
When I was home this summer, I was asked to go buy jintan manis.
Since I have no idea how it looks like, and the spices sold in our grocery have no label, I just play safe and tell the grocer to go get me one since I don't know which one is jintan manis.
I caught sight of a nearby young woman look of disbelief.

And for the past 2 years, my cooking is very basic.
And since we love to pick and throw almost every familiar packet into the trolley, I get to know what this seed is called.
In Czech language of course.
At first, things were fine, until today.
Since I have picked up a considerably good skill from observing my mom at kitchen this summer, and annoyed her with questions regarding taxonomy of the seed and powder in our kitchen, I kinda know what really goes into this pot to produce wonder.
But my memory is so bad that I forgot them.
Gambar sekadar hiasan dari savagechickens.com

Honestly, most of the time, I rely on internet for recipes.
It is practical and doesn't babble back to me. =p
Problem arises when the website gives me ingredients in Malay.
Or maybe, the problem is, I maybe know the names of all the spices in my rack, except that I know some in Czech, some in English and a hand-not-full in Malay.
U get the drift?
So, when I decided to do some research and make an english-malay-czech dictionary of spices, it fails, big time.
I couldn't believe it that there's a mixed up of names, especially regarding Malay-English names.
I hope someone makes me a pictorial list of spices in English-Malay.
Can ah?

2 comments: