Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Traumatology Operation Room

Has learnt my lesson.
All this while, I've roamed aroun the hospital comfortably in my white coat, student ID and sport shoes. So just you know, the Czech students go around the hospital in white shirt, white pants and student ID wearing socks and sandals.
I think many non Czechs agree with me that socks and sandal aren't in but in Czech it's a normal sight.
So, since I didn't do as the Romans do in Rome, I got to wear socks and plastics. Thanks Allah we changed into our scrubs. Hehehe.

Anyway traumatology operation room is interesting.
The are usually drills, screw driver and racks of screws of different sizes on the scrub tables.
There is always C-arm (the x-ray machine) and lots of blood.
I like the fact that we get adequate access to the x-ray images and about what's going on thanks to the camera and large screen in the OR.
Surgeons are the serious lots and do a lot of standing while anesthesists are the fun ones, sitting and monitoring the patients from the above.

First patient was an old lady with multiple fractures after she fall down.
She has osteoporosis and she broke her arm, both thigh bones and the right shin.
Surgeons operated on both legs.
Osteosynthesis was put into the femur with respect to the osteoporosis.
Still doctor said with her weight and her fractures, she won't be able to get on her two feet and has to be on the wheelchair.

Second patient was a man after bike accident.
He broke his tibia on two places and had multifragmented fracture on his fibula.
Surgeons had to do reduction and put the fibula back precisely on its physiological position so that the foot can function physiologically (means to say the foot can can rotate and distribute the pressure evenly )
Since the was torn ligament, they have to fix the fibula temporarily.
It's because when the ligament heals, there will be micromovements which can interfere with the fibula which hasn't healed completely.
I like it that our surgeon is willing to explain many things eventhough I catch only 70% of those explanation.
Let's face it, I'm a general medicine student and most of the time I have no idea what should I ask.
They did 180 degree x ray imaging on the ankle and all of us evacuate the OR (which means there's only the patient on the operating table in the OR) and watched the imaging procedure went by.

I had good times and I hope I'll experienced much more and gained a lot from my upcoming summer practicals.

2 comments:

  1. hye Lina, i've been wondering if the man with bike accident actually has some bandage on his head and has subdural hemorhage? if he is, then we see the same patient :)
    p/s: i love this ideal hospital. i wonder why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cikin, I xpasti pulak psl head dia, but ms operation head dia ok ja. he's in his 40's, me think.

    ReplyDelete