Monday, December 5, 2011

Amputation

This morning I went to listen to reconstructive surgery lectures.
In the afternoon, I went to watch a destructive surgery.

This morning we learnt of a case where an old lady is suffering from plethora of diseases, which according to our lecturer, will make a good pathological muzeum.
This is a dark joke to some but it is a reality.
If you don't get the joke, don't worry much.

Anyway, when Dr Asqar proposed for us to go into amputation surgery, I just know that I am not ready for it.
I have a rough idea what amputation means and I don't think going to watch one on a short notice is a good idea.
Still, we changed into our scrub and went into the OT.

It's above knee amputation for a 84 y.o. man suffering from Diabetes Mellitus type 2.
Basically, this surgery is done under epidural anesthesia (where you will not feel half down of your body) and some sedation. So, the patient was coughing even when they are scraping his thigh bone.
We were there when they prepare the patient and I couldn't escape from thinking about that man.
I mean, the very man who's lying in front of me, all four limbs attached is going to lose one leg. How must he be feeling right then.
It's very disturbing to me.
I handle other surgeries pretty well ~ I can watch surgeon drills, hammers, sews, punches or cut through skin.
But I know even before it starts, that sawing someone leg or transplanting faces is a bit too much for me.
Thanks Allah for those shoulders that I can embrace, watching the sawing and the bloodsquirts.

Enough with the emotional part.
I hope I won't be visiting any amputation again anytime soon.
The amputation went well. The patient was coughing sometimes that at some times, that causes the blood squirts. The mega blood squirt came last, when they cut through the collateral artery.
Surgeon will ligate the arteries by suturing both walls on the same artery to prevent the suture from slipping down the vessel.
The upper thigh is raised using a long white cloth placed from below the thigh while the surgeon saw through the femur (the thigh bone). They then smoothes the cut just like how you file your nail and stick a wax into the hollow opening on the cut bone.
The amputated leg itself is put into a black plastic and put on the corner. (Imagine having your limb in the same room but not attached on your body)
Draining tube is put under the fascia to drain all the fluid that will accumulate postoperatively and they will clean the wound using peroxide before sewing the two flabs together.
End result looks like an overfilled pillow.
Patient will be given morfin for sometime after the peration to help with the ubearable pain.
Even after recovery from operation, there will be phanthom pain. On what it is, kindly google it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment