Sunday, September 23, 2012

Ayaq Nyoq

My dad is generous to me. He'd come home with loads of tropical fruits. I on the other hand is a fruit machine. And my favourite fruit is rambutan. I am an opprtunist, so I always get my dad to peel them for me.

Picture this :
Someone who looks closely like the Buddha minus the skin colour is peeling the hairy fruit aided by a knife. With the big plastic bags containing rambutan on one side, the bowl for peeled rambutan in front of him and the trash bin on the other side. Also in the picture, someone whose identity is anonymous is either munching or having one hand dipped in the bowl.

Anyway the main character of this post is ayaq nyoq, not rambutan.
Dad bought 2 very young coconuts we called it nyoq beringuih. Roughly translated as the coconut with mucus.
Since we live in flat, dad can't go out and shiouuuu!shiouuu!shiouuu! (slices off the head of the coconut) and drain the water into the jug and then whack it into two to get the mucus.
So you get a Buddha like man standing and tackling the coconut. When I say tackling, I do mean it.
He flew the knife so many times and the shards flew in every direction. He's good at handling coconut. Only that doing it in a flat looks really out of place.

Anyway, this is what happened before he handle the coconuts.
Abah : go and get the pot.
Me : Hand abah a small pot
Abah : This is small. Get the plastic one in the cabinet.
 
Me : Here
 
 
Dad then proceed to whack the coconuts and I went to slice the pineapples and make my rojak.
After I'm done, I turned to this on the table.
Notice the ratio of the coconut water to the size of the jug.
Me : So, you only get that much?

Abah, I love you!
 
 

1 comment: