Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cardioversion

It's internal medicine again!
I just love this particular subject. Mainly because close contact between student and doctor.
I bet most of the lecturers don't even know we are there.
So yeah, hands on and great doctor = fun time of internal medicine.

As usual we had brainstorming, today about pneumonia and bronchitis.
People, Salbutamol would help to bronchodilate the bronchitis.
And ampicillin would be a standard treatment for pneumonia.
And basically, most people with pneumonia come to the doctor complaining of fatigue, feverish and chill.
Since these are very general symptoms, you would suspect either urinary tract infection or respiratory tract infection.
GP will send for urine test first, because it's more affordable and simple yet very efficient.
If it comes out negative then we'll send the patient for test(s) of pneumonia and then start the antibiotic treatment.
The treatment would last 5-6 days for bronchitis and about a month for pneumonia and if the pneumonia is severe, treatment would be for about 2 months.

I'm always keen to try most of the practicals we are offered.
Being a medical student means you have the chance to make plethora of tests on your own body and other's.
So, I try to grab every chance.
ECG, bicycle glucose test, and loads more.
It's fun!
And today, since Dr Solar offer for cardioversion, I raised my hand without thinking twice.
Of course to send electric shock into someone chest to terminate the arrythmia, from a student point of view, it's really a big thing, at least it is for me.
I don't have the confidence in me but I have the confidence in Him.
Cardioversion is a big thing yes, and I am up for it because I know sooner or later I'll be doing it.
I expressed my concern about doing it to my friend, but when we are visiting the patient, he said he would prefer for the doctor or nurse to do it.
Lesson learnt!~ even me myself wouldn't give my chest for electric shock delivered by someone who ain't fluent in my language(s).
So Lina has to czech the Czech language up, no other way!
Anyway the shock was delivered twice but the arrythmia is still there.
Owing to 3 major risks, the patient would be undergoing drug treatment with amiodarone.
Those 3 risks are low but are quite significant.
Propofol, the general anesthesia can lead to low blood pressure which would be quite a hassle to manage.
Dr Solar said he's seen it and he doesn't want to see it again. Wonder how difficult the patient condition was.
About the patient, he's warm and the doctor and nurse kept telling him "don't be afraid" and when the nurse let go of his hand, he cheekily said, na shledanou, whih means goodbye.
Anyway he came around a couple of minutes after the cardioversion feeling very good.
He had nice dream but he was hungry and his wife is coming to visit.

Another patient had a massive myocardial infarction.
He is put under cool pad ~ run with cold saline solution that's kept cold by the cooler.
The aim is to have below 34 degree celcius temperature, so that the enzymes in his body particularly his brain are inactivated, simultaneously lowering the metabolism to prevent further strain on the body system.

Anyway, that's for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment