Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Glimpse From The Past

They lived behind my childhood home before they relocated somewhere nearer to the beach.
I now remember that she was the one from the previous post about my mom.
i can't recall much of our time together but they had a rough time and when they were still our neighbours, I recall sharing lunch with those people.

I have forgotten the most part of our time together but I can vividly recall back that one fine sunny day.
What's nicer than a calm sea under a clear blue sky?
They already relocated to that red zinc place and since the beach is just steps away, we girls went to dig for remis and we managed to collect a bucketful under the afternoon sun.
It may sound a bit off but that's our life as girls living by the beach. I can even go to the beach at 3 pm out of boredom and make a sandcastle and collecting small seashells, just to send them back to the grainy sand.
Anyway, we handed the bucket full with remis to her older sister.
She would fry it with onions, dried chilli and lemongrass, simmered with soy sauce, fondly known as tok you.
It was taking quite some time since we have to soak the seashells in sea water for a while to get rid of sand particles and a beach boy who their family know offered us a ride in the speedboat.
The ride was great with wind smashing on your face.
An authentic ride, a free one amid the rolling hills of Teluk Bahang and the man steer the boat just like what he does when they are having a water skier tied to the boat.
Making curve here and there and inevitably, salty water sprinkled on your face.
After the ride, we got off and thanked the man and run for our steaming remis.
We pick the flesh on a pangkin under the pokok ketapang, dumping the butterfly like shell into an empty container.
With the cool breeze from the sea felt on our grinning face, and that's the vivid memory that I have of us two.

The friend greeted me on facebook jst now.
I was unsure at first. She looks very different but there's a glimpse of someone that I know, someone that has been there in one chapter of my life.
I approved right away.
Reluctant?yes.
But still proceed? I couldn't help but to be optimistic about this.

People from the past has been poping out.
We may hardly be on the same page again but we had been before.
But I just feel so good about knowing that the people that has been absent all this while can always appear back in front of you, even though it's just the photos of them.
I hear them say, hi, I have been surviving all these years and just to let you know, I'm here. Does it sound like that to you?when you find a long lost friend?or when they find you?
There's one more person from the past that is yet to do that. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment