Monday, February 13, 2012

Salted Ice Lemon Tea

In the wake of recent chicken fight back home, I'd like to reminisce what I used to do for some credit in my bank account.
Moons ago, I was a worker at a fastfood restaurant.
I had a good time experiencing something that I know I won't get to do after I turn myself in for another 6 years of formal study.

So I got to
~ dump loads of leftovers, many which are still edible.
~ flip a tray holding 6 cups of hot mushrooms soups.
~ sit on the same table with the immigrant workers at company dinner (and eat to my heart content since they don't do chinese courses).
~ be the one who run to KFC to never get the chilli sauce since our restaurant hasn't even return the batches that we borrowed before.
~ sweep the floor every 20minutes, everytime a team finished their slot in national competition that took place at our premise. and get a bag emblazoned with company logo as thank you gift.
~ make salted ice lemon tea.

It's stupid but we always run out of stock of this and that.
The customers, having paid a finger for MSG loaded food would understandably be irritated when we don't even have chilli sauce to go with the meal. And you call yourself a fastfood restaurant.
The company? They set up the rule of using only supplied stuff. So you couldn't run into Giant which is a sneeze away to buy the chilli sauce when you are undersupplied.
What am I to do? Me, the part time worker.

Anyway, one fine morning, I was assigned to the bar. Prior to opening, it's my call to make a batch of ice lemon tea.
Surprisingly, we almost ran out of sugar this time.
Luckily there's the tin labelled with sugar in the bar.
So I proceed into the kitchen to make the syrup.
I poured the BOILING water and diluted the sugar in it, except that after sometime, some of the sugar still hasn't diluted.
My friend came over to help me dilute the sugar but dissolved only 2 tiny pieces of it.
After I collected some assurances from coworker, I made my first batch of ice lemon tea ever using more than a dozen teabags.
And you must know this one of many peculiar things about me ~ I don't often taste the food or drink that I made. Most of the times, food and drink are served straight after they are prepared.
So, I got lucky that before we really open business for the day, my manager called out for a glass of ice lemon tea.
She took a sip and just freeze.
The tea must be either too good or the other way round.
She asked me to drink some and I did.
The ice lemon tea tastes wonderful, just like Eno, and not like ice lemon tea.
An investigation was carried out and we found out that sugar labelled tin instead contained salt.
Anybody who did that will make a factory goes bankrupt has he or she be in the inventory department.
And for the record, thankfully, no customer place order for ice lemon tea that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment