Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sahur, Home Version

By home, I mean at my parents'.
To date, I've never helped to prepare sahur. My mom does it very efficient and fast.
And, ahemm, abah will be there to accompanied her.

Abah job is also to wake his brood up. By experience, he knows that turning off the fan will not wake them up so he goes for other tactics.
When waking the firstborn he either
1. throws pillow(s) at her and yells "hoi mangkit!"
2. put the ice tray with ice and wrapped in thin newspaper on her cheek. It has the effect like that of electric shock.

When waking the first son
1. "hoi mangkit" with a little push.
2. asks the firstborn to wake her brothers up

When waking the last child
1. "mangkit!mangkit!mangkit!" from 2 meters away
2. "hoiiiiiii, mangkitttttt.satgi mak hang bising."
obviously both approach will never work. So it's my mom who will go and shower him with kisses and coax him with "mak dah bancuh dah Milo Aje". Sometimes he wakes up easily after that. Most of the time he wakes up when my mom has turned into a dragon spitting fire. We all thought he has the most cumulating dosa with mom but he often get away. His weapons are going to mom and slap her butt, after which he proceeds to lie down and request "mak, gaghuuu".

I like fasting month. It means one whole month having twice meals a day with the whole family.
Sahur will always consist of rice.
Recently, fried rice is on repeat.
There will always be Milo and it's the only time these years where I get to drink Milo made by mom. Other mornings when I'm home, I'll wake up to empty jug. I suspect Milo is one of the strong reasons why the Milo monster in the house never wanted to stay away from home. Even though my parents have cut down on groceries, Milo has never been taken off the list.

My abah's eternal love is doing laundry. In normal days the washing machine is loaded as early as 6 am. During fasting month in the old days, the laundry was being hung by abah whilst I was finishing my sahur.
Since last year (or was it last 2 years?), abah finally realised that he can ORDER his kids to do the hanging. It's obvious who is ordered to do that while abah has his landing time in the living room and giddily flaps his feet. And his daughter doesn't go far away to study for nothing. One of the reason why you should be the firstborn+the only daughter+studying abroad is that so you can be more favourable by your parents = get away with many things.

I miss Ramadhan and is very happy that it's approaching. Looking forward to bonding time with the family. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment