Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday
I went to the tuition that I've been anticipating
We sat around a long table, near the little coconut tree
The wind chime (made of various used metal rods) was not as noisy as usual
There, my Indian tutor cum my neighbour was readyto teach us

Yesterday
I was near the petit coconut tree with my friend
Benny was wrapping up Eliza Clark's mint jelly for his sister
For gigi, gi. gi. he said pointing at his teeth

Yesterday
On the same ground in the evening
We were throwing a brithday party for my Indian tutor
Lantern was lit up
Party packs - peanuts cap Ngan Ying, chocolate wafer, colourful jellies, ballon and everything else that u can find in a transparent plastics given out to kids at brithday- were given
There were 2 big cakes
1 is number 2
the other 1 is number 1
and there was a banner reading, Happy Birthday Kala
Kala is my Indian tutor who I called Kak Vani (don't ask me why)
Food was good, great people, nice ambience
A laidback party with full 90's essence

Yesterday
It was only me
I was sitting at the dining table in the large kitchen
Above me, wau bulan of various shapes and sizes, made by Benny
Across the table, my Indian tutor's brother was having dinner
Then a couple came down and sat at the same table
There were grapes
They were fighting
The Indian brother finish his dinner in a haste
That left me with the arguing couple at the table
I must admit that I was shaking at that time

Yesterday
was the first time I see SP
a motherless child, that's what my Indian tutor told us
The child was spinning and making sounds with the racing bike

Yesterday
I sat at the same table
The same wau(s) bulan were above me
This time, a plate of steaming fried nugget was before me
Then, came 2 fingers running towards the nugget
They got hit before they reach the nugget
Then they came again twice and twice, they got hit again
Then I saw a hand wanting to shake mine.
My name is SP, that child said and spelled it out
As simple as that
A friendship was established

And then, every summer I would looking forward for that child visit
Along with the racing bike with white stars black rubber handle


Yesterday
I was on my way to fetch my then, 6 year-old brother from preschool
When I saw that child sitting knee up beside the racing bike near the chinese school
That child was bleeding
I don't remember what happen
But I remember funny yellow plastic bag wrapping the legs
everytime that child came out of the shower

Yesterday
I was a small child with lotsa questions
I was a bubbly girl who brave the lingo barrier
I was being asked about something regarding the friend that the presence that I always look forward to
I didn't reply
U see, I was not really good in standard Malay nor English
I spoke Penang accents all the way through my elementary
When I enquired my Indian tutor, she giggled and said that I must figured that out by myself
I looked blankly at past the child father at the mural of birds - pelican, mynah, pipit, flamingo
What was he asking me, I wonder about that until now
I never give him an answer

Today
perhaps I'm somewhere near to that child or perhaps we are far apart
We may pass by each other on the street and not realise it
The Indian family losses their mother when I was in standard 5, the last I see that child
My family moved to the other town when I was 12
I used to keep going back when I was in high school
With the hope that I can see that child again
I never get to see that child
Never know what happened to the racing bike
What stays there is just an empty guest house
The wau(s) bulan gone
The birds mural are gone
What's left for me is just the slowly fading memory of my good times, our good times
Thus I don't expect people to understand what I'm typing over here
This post is intended for me and me alone
Sometimes, I would always think
That it would be good if we can meet again.
It would be too good

So long..

Image from here

2 comments:

  1. ok aku baru nak ckp aku tak faham sgt post ni, nasib baik kau ckp kat ending tuh yg tak perlu faham. =)
    tapi aku baca dari awal sampai habis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's complicated.makes sure u don't get tangled lps bc =)

    ReplyDelete