Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dog

I was raised in an environment where dog is a taboo to us Malay.
In an environment where dogs are either barking madly at people or stray in the street.
My brother was attacked by a retriever when we were in elementary.
Dog is nothing but a disgusting animal. In my eyes, there's nothing positive about the dog.
But when I broadened my horizon, I see dog from a new perspective.
Dogs are indeed man best friend.

When they are well trained and groomed, they look so obedient and demure.
I would have the instinct to stroke those cute dogs with ribboned fur.
But still, the sight of big dogs scares me.
I also learned that in Islam, although dog is a haram animal to us, that still doesn't permit us to treat dog badly.
Even in our holy al-Quran, Khitmir, a dog is guaranteed a place in heaven.
When I attended fiqh talks, I learned more.
I learned that we shouldn't treat dog as the most disgusting thing and run away when we meet any.
It is also possible for us to stroke or pat the dog.
Najis mughallazah Malay would say.
Don't go near it.
But this man which was a mufti told us,
"dogs are najis"
"but blood is najis too,your stool is najis too even your urine is najis"
"and we are given the methods to clean ourselves from these najis"
and logic kicks its way in my mind.
why I haven't think about this before?
and I found the answer.
It's our mentality.
Honestly speaking, most of us wouldn't feel disgusting when we touch non muhrim.
Instead, we would be embraced with pleasure (I'm being frank here)
isn't the act is a sin?
an there's no method to clean your cutaneous layer from the sin of touching with non muhrim (except of course from taubat)

yet, when we bump into dogs (which are innocent), we throw a disgusting looks at the creature.
p/s :pls read my post with an open mind
Photos kidnapped from here

3 comments:

  1. hej! lyna...some dogs are cute and some dogs are not so cute...most of the dogs over here are 'educated' one so they don't just chase you away or bark at you just like the dogs in Malaysia...yeah, i believe that we have no right to treat animals badly or even worst scream or give a hostile look at dog...and for Muslims they are not encouraged to touch the dog anytime anywhere on their own free will(correct me please) but only on the certain emergency situation...well, you can touch the dog or pig if you wear a pair of nice gloves...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe.. hg x boh link tu..
    enrti tu sangat menyentuh perasaan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danial : hahaha, I'm still nervous whenever a dog walks near me. but cute small dogs are okay though
    azwan : thanks for reminding

    ReplyDelete