Saturday, March 5, 2011

PLKN : The Food

So, we'll talk about yummy things.
I didn't even think about food until I was at camp.
All in my head were those adrenaline pumping activities that I would be having in camp.
Imagine kayaking, high ropes, abseilling and all things outdoor, they are yummier than food (now, this is quite a statement because I am a person who love her food, very much)

Anyway, food was generous and very well prepared.
No need to pack a baggage full of provision.
And the perk of being in Alpha company ~ U get to go first for breakfast.
And everybody suddenly was not sleepy anymore and hasten to the dining hall from the small hill.
Never, ever run!
The hill is steep and u don't want to go rolling down, believe me.
Every morning, without fail, I would have boiled egg.
Breakfast consists of main menu, white bread with spread and boiled egg.
The heaviest breakfast I had at 7 in the morning before PLKN was nasi lemak.
PLKN beated that record.
I had complete set of curry noodles and porridge with salted egg to name a few in the camp.

We had class in the morning and we would go straight downhill for pre-noon snack in our postman attire.
Downhill again and problem is, girls had these sparkly black and an inch thick heels.
Now, U don't want to scratch them nor u would want to chase your cup that rolls downhill.
U don't want either of that under the scorching sun, and so, u would walk downhill nicely (read : slowly)
I thought SOKSEK lunch throughout the week mostly were horrible.
Anyway, PLKN or to be exact, Kem PLKN Bukit Besar really is a five star camp.
Lunch was always good, nothing that I don't fancy.
Even their shrimp was fresh and guess what? when we said farewell to our commandant that'll leave for Nepal, we had ikan bakar.
Yes, the whole camp had ikan bakar cicah air asam.
Now, that really beats SOKSEK to pulp doesn't it?
The trainers would always patron lunch and asked us if the lunch was to our liking and to tell him if we have any problem.
I cheekily said it's okay to have leaf worm, after all it tells us the vege grew up healthily and the smart-looking trainers said, ok, he'll ask for them to not wash the vege after that. *stick out tongue*
Oh yes, we were even allowed second helping if I'm not mistaken.

We also had tea, only thing was, wira and particularly wirawati, don't really care about it.
Tea consists of some kuih muih and hot teh tarik.
Now, that's not really comforting when u r drenched in the ever so revealing blue shirt and padded tracksuit that have cuff on the ankle (yuckish attire, that one was), or when U r in the combat suit looking like KFC fried chicken.
Anyway, it was good when it's weekend.
I remember being so happy that they would serve bubur chacha on one weekend.
I asked the whole dorm for someone to accompany me downhill for tea but well, the sight of it was scary enough, everybody was in their own world during weekend, because weekend is the only time when we were allowed mobiles and for that, nobody's coming down for tea with me.
But I insisted on having the bubur chacha and went down alone.
Just to be dissappointed because they serve bubur kacang instead (for unkown reason, I never have a liking for bubur kacang. But I really like ais krim kacang)
After all the useless effort to get the girls have tea with me.
After braving myself to go down alone.
Holy molly bubur kacang.
Why oh why??

But in one of our first few days in camp, we didn't really have much to do.
Only we have to work on KKJ which needs us to come out with cheers, flag and name for our company all the while waiting for our turns to get our logistic supplies (survival kits, poncho, boots and such).
And guess what's for tea?
Laksa!!!!
My eternal love.
I just couldn't believe it, laksa for tea!

And so, meehoon sup and bubur gandum for supper were not a surprise anymore.
6 meals a day, so I shall thanks our government and the taxpayer.
That was really, the best thing to do after SPM.
I was a wirawati that's well fed and when I am well fed, I am a happy girl.
And to be well fed, I kept my tray, cup and cutleries on my hand, not rolling down the hill. =)

1 comment:

  1. haha girl, such a nice thing to hear~~! a real insight to ns!which we nvr really get to hear about.... but thn agn i did hear bad stories...proly diff camps were managed to diff standards~! n u were lucky to hv a 5 star one! ;)

    ReplyDelete