Monday, July 2, 2012

The History of Croissant

"I like croissant", I told Chris and Iva as we were sitting down for breakfast.
Chris was having cereal with milk and a half bowl of coffee.
Iva's with her muesli mixed with yogurt and a half bowl of tea.
And me having croissant, cream cheese with chives and a glass of apple juice.

"Where do you think croissant comes from?" asked Chris.
Obviously my answer is France. Hear the pronounciation~keghe-oa-zont
According to Chris, and he's not joking either, croissant originates from Austria.
Austrian bakers invented it to celebrate the defeat of Ottoman.
The catch is the shape of croissant, crescent moon, which is a symbol on the Ottoman flag.

I know a bit about the defeat.
I hold my own opinion about it.
Battle of Tours is somehow the important key.
Winning the battle means the essential road to spread the belief to European people.
But Ottoman lost the key and the spread of the belief stops there, temporarily.

Croissant role in my life will never be the same again. It will from now own be a good reminder to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment